Taxation laws are complex. Businesses and individuals want taxation lawyers who understand their needs, proficiently navigate the ever-evolving taxation landscape and provide actionable advice. Our nationally recognized taxation team draws on our collective experience, knowledge and creativity to provide timely solutions and to anticipate future pitfalls.
We provide tax compliance and planning and litigation services to a wide variety of clients, including high-net-worth individuals, owner-managed businesses, multi-national businesses, public companies, First Nations and crown corporations.
Our comprehensive taxation services include:
- Business structuring and corporate reorganizations, including divisive reorganizations, surplus protection and extraction techniques, estate freezes, purification transactions, and planning for use of the lifetime capital gains exemption
- Estate and business succession planning, including planning for high net worth individuals and cross-border planning
- Canada Revenue Agency technical interpretations and rulings
- Provincial retail sales tax and GST/HST
- Complex estate administration, including post-mortem tax strategies
- Charities and non-profit organizations
- Indigenous tax matters
- Tax litigation and dispute resolution (provincial and federal), including:
- Audit advice
- Rectification and rescission orders
- Taxpayer relief
- Voluntary disclosure
- Tax evasion
Our taxation lawyers support other practices within Fillmore Riley, particularly the business law group with respect to M&A and other transactional matters. Our personable, technically proficient taxation practitioners are recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada, the Canadian Lexpert Directory, Benchmark Litigation, Chambers & Partners and The Globe and Mail’s list of Canada’s Best Law Firms. We frequently give presentations on the latest tax developments and our members sit on editorial boards of leading taxation journals and the board of the Canadian Tax Foundation.