Employment & Labour
We understand that effectively managing human resources requires timely and pragmatic solutions. We provide practical legal advice to our clients on all matters related to human resources. Because every situation is unique, we carefully assess legal risks and obligations and arrive at the best course of action to help you achieve desired results.
Our clients range from small, family businesses to large, national organizations. We represent both public and private clients, in unionized and non-unionized workplaces, whether subject to provincial or federal regulation.
We strive to provide advice and assistance that prevents future disputes, including negotiating and drafting employment contracts and collective agreements, drafting workplace policies and advising on employee discipline and/or terminations. Where a dispute arises, our team excels at representing employers and employees in all forms of civil actions, administrative complaints and grievance/arbitration proceedings.
We provide advice and support in all of the following areas:
- Wrongful dismissal and constructive dismissal
- Employee discipline and performance management
- Employment manuals and policies
- Employment contracts and contract negotiations
- Employment standards
- Human rights and the duty to accommodate
- Medical and disability leaves of absence and return to work
- Harassment and respectful workplace issues
- Workplace safety and health issues and investigations
- Privacy issues
- Collective agreement negotiation, application and interpretation
- Grievance arbitration and mediation
- Unfair labour practice matters
- Manitoba Labour Board proceedings
- Workplace investigations
Our employment and labour practice is recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada, the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory The Globe and Mail’s list of Canada’s Best Law Firms and Best in Winnipeg. We frequently give presentations and publish articles on the latest updates and developments in employment and labour law.