Mark leads an extensive advocacy and advisory practice, most notably in the domain of municipal and administrative law.
Mark advises a variety of institutional, corporate and individual clients on municipal tax assessment, planning and other administrative issues in the local government sphere. He has extensive experience dealing with real property valuation matters including an extensive practice involving rent renewal arbitrations, real estate valuation arbitrations, expropriation and property tax valuation disputes.
He has appeared before Boards of Revision, the Manitoba Municipal Board and the Land Value Appraisal Commission, and has served as an arbitrator in real estate valuation related issues. He was appointed to the Payment in Lieu of Taxes Advisory Panel by the Government of Canada.
Mark also practises in the area of employment law. He has advised on every aspect of workplace law and employment rights, including working with employers in collective bargaining, mediations and arbitrations, and negotiations with unions and other employee organizations. His work in this respect includes appearances at the Manitoba Labour Board and the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
Mark has appeared before every level of court, including the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Counsel to the Province of Manitoba in the preparation of rules for the conduct of planning related appeals before the Municipal Board of Manitoba
- Ladco Company Limited v. The City of Winnipeg, 2020 MBQB 101 (CanLII) : Counsel in a successful challenge of development charges in Winnipeg in reliance on the City of Winnipeg charter and other law.
- Bell ExpressVu Inc. v. City of Winnipeg, 2010 MBQB 26 (CanLII) : Counsel in a successful challenge to the imposition of business tax at a municipal level.
- Gardentree Village Inc. v. Winnipeg (City), 2009 MBCA 79 (CanLII); Counsel in a successful appeal of a significant tax assessment question, leading to an interpretation by the Court of Appeal of important questions of law in this domain.
- University of Manitoba, LLB, 1978
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch