David leads the firm’s labour and employment practice.
He advises primarily employers on all aspects of workplace law, including collective bargaining and agreements, unionization and grievances, employment contracts, employee termination, workplace standards issues and human rights concerns. His clients are employers in every sector of the Manitoba economy, including public authorities. He represents a significant share of Manitoba’s school divisions on labour and employment matters.
David has appeared before all levels of court in Manitoba and various tribunals and labour arbitration boards.
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Labour and Employment Law
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2022, Employment Law
- The Portage la Prairie Teachers’ Association v The Portage la Prairie School Division, 2021 MBCA 50 (CanLII): Represented the Portage la Prairie School Division in a labour arbitration hearing, appealed to the Court of Queen’s Bench and to the Manitoba Court of Appeal. In a unanimous ruling and one of the first decisions in Manitoba to apply the Vavilov standard of review framework in arbitral jurisprudence, the Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal, upholding the management rights of the Portage la Prairie School Division.
- Presenter, Manitoba Labour Law Review and the Manitoba Bar Association
- University of Manitoba, LLB, 2005
- Western University, BACS, 2002
- Manitoba, 2006
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch