Curran practises primarily in the areas of civil, commercial and insurance litigation.
He also advises employers in employment law related disputes. Curran’s experience covers a full range of insurance-specific advice, including defense, subrogation and coverage opinions, in addition to representing insured parties. His commercial litigation practice touches on all significant parts of the Manitoba economy, with a notable history of success on behalf of participants in the transportation sector. He has advised road and rail transport companies on disputes and risk management concerns specific to those industries.
He has notable experience in obtaining, enforcing and overturning injunctive relief, including Mareva (asset freezing) orders, injunctions in the course of labour disputes and orders targeting trespass on corporate or public property.
Curran has appeared before all levels of court in Manitoba and before a number of administrative tribunals. He is a member of the firm’s leadership and leads the commercial litigation practice. He also has a long history in the mentorship and supervision of Fillmore Riley’s articling students. He a member of the Executive Committee of the firm.
- Benchmark Litigation’s, 40 & Under Hot List , 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Acted for Canadian National Railway Company in relation to obtaining province-wide injunctive relief prohibiting blockades or interference with the operations of trains in relation to the Wet’suwet’en protests.
- UNIFOR and its Local 100 v. Canadian National Railway, 2020 MBQB 91 (CanLII): Acted for Canadian National Railway Company in a judicial review arising
from the termination of employment for a union member’s failed drug test after a workplace incident.
- Pembina County Water, Resource District v. Manitoba, 2016 FC 618 (CanLII) and 2017 FCA 92 (CanLII):
Acted for a municipal government in a cross-border dispute involving farming interests and flood control. Successfully dismissed the claim for want of jurisdiction, with continued success at the appellate level.
- Successfully defended a municipality and a planning district in claims of misfeasance in public office and other torts.
- Bar Over H Ranch Ltd. v. The Rural Municipality of Grey, 2019 MBQB 56 (CanLII): Successful representation of the Rural Municipality of Grey in a negligence claim regarding flooding.
- Representation of a commercial tenant in obtaining injunctive relief preventing a landlord from retaking possession of leased premises in the course of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- University of Manitoba, LLB, 2003
- University of Manitoba, BA, 2000
- Manitoba, 2004
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch