Cy is one of Western Canada’s foremost tax lawyers. He advises public companies, private corporations, foundations, charities, trust professionals, investors and high-net-worth individuals on all aspects of corporate tax, tax planning, estate planning and trust law. His clients include most of Manitoba’s best-known corporate entities and business figures.
Cy is currently on the editorial board of the Estates, Trust & Pensions Journal, having served on the editorial board of the Canadian Tax Journal and the Board of Governors of the Canadian Tax Foundation. Cy taught tax law and estate planning at the Faculty of Law of the University of Manitoba for 23 years. He is also a former bencher of the Law Society of Manitoba. He has appeared before all levels of the Federal courts.
In recognition of his services to the practice of tax law, Cy was honoured with the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal in 2012.
- Benchmark Litigation, Tax Disputes — Litigation Star
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Tax Law; Trusts and Estates
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Lawyer of the Year — Tax Law: 2013, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2024
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Lawyer of the Year — Trusts and Estates: 2011, 2014, 2020, 2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2023, Corporate Tax; Estate & Personal Tax Planning — Estate & Tax Planning; Litigation — Corporate Tax
- Chambers Canada, Corporate/Commercial (Manitoba) — Band 1
- University of Manitoba, LLB (Gold Medallist), 1975
- University of Manitoba, BSc (Gold Medallist), 1971
- Manitoba, 1976
- Former Governor, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch