Johanna practises primarily in the area of taxation law.
She advises businesses, trust professionals, foundations and high-net-worth individuals on all aspects of estate planning (including cross-border planning), business succession, trusts and complex estate administration. She works with clients on corporate reorganizations, sales tax matters and the establishment of professional corporations.
Johanna also provides advice concerning pension plans, benefit trusts and executive compensation.
In support of Johanna’s tax practice, she is experienced in mergers and acquisitions transactions, asset acquisitions and dispositions and corporate governance.
Johanna was a clerk at the Supreme Court of Canada after graduating as the gold medallist from the Faculty of Law at the University of Manitoba. Within Fillmore Riley, Johanna co-leads the firm’s associate development strategy and committee.
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Tax Law; Trusts and Estates Law
- Recipient, 2021 Widdifield Prize awarded by Ontario Bar Association’s Wills and Trusts Section
- Co-Presenter, “Pensions and Relationship Breakdown” (Canada Pension & Benefits Institute, November 2022)
- Presenter, "Family Trusts" (Canadian Tax Foundation, Prairie Provinces Tax Conference, June 2022)
- Presenter, “Tax Basics in Estates” (Manitoba Bar Association Wills, Estates and Trusts Section, February 2022)
- Co-Presenter, "Current Issues in Tax Law" (Manitoba Bar Association, The MBA 2022 Mid-Winter Conference, January 2022)
- Co-Presenter, "Corporate Insights and Taxation of Partnerships" (Manitoba Bar Association, The MBA 2021 Mid-Winter Conference, January 2021)
- Co-Presenter, "Current Issues in Tax Law" (Manitoba Bar Association, The MBA 2021 Mid-Winter Conference, January 2021)
- Co-Presenter, "Introduction to Medical Corporations" (General Surgery Residents’ Academic Half-Day, March 2020)
- Co-Presenter, "Hot Topics in Tax Law" (CPA Manitoba, February 2020)
- Co-Presenter, "Current Issues in Tax Law" (Manitoba Bar Association, The MBA 2020 Mid-Winter Conference, January 2020)
- Co-Presenter, "Wills & Estates" (CPA Manitoba, November 2019)
- Co-Presenter, "Introduction to Dental Corporations" (Manitoba Dental Students' Association, 2017, 2018 and 2019)
- University of Manitoba, LLB (Gold Medallist), 2007
- University of Manitoba, BA, 2004
- University of Manitoba, BSc (with distinction) , 2004
- Manitoba, 2008
- Member, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch