"I practise law with a simple but important mission statement: to provide my clients with clear, practical legal advice in a cost-effective, timely manner. I strive to identify solutions, to clarify, and to find the pathways to my clients success."
Areas of Focus
Jody is a senior partner of Fillmore Riley LLP, practising in the areas of corporate and commercial law, with special emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and real estate/leasing transactions, pension law, banking and financing and First Nations law. He is the Chair of Fillmore Riley’s Commercial Law Department and a member of the firm’s Management Committee.
Jody has been recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada in the practice areas of Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Real Estate Law and by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading practitioner in the area of Corporate Commercial Law. Chambers Canada named Jody as a notable practitioner in Agribusiness Law and as a leader in General Business Law.
He has published articles in the University of Toronto's Faculty of Law Review and for the Law Society of Manitoba, and is a frequent lecturer on corporate and commercial law issues. He is a trustee on the Board of FortWhyte Alive and is also a member of the Major Donors Cabinet of the United Way of Winnipeg and the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce Transportation Leadership Council.
- Member, Management Committee, Fillmore Riley LLP
- Chair, Commercial Law Department, Fillmore Riley LLP
- Member, the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce Transportation Leadership Council
- Former Instructor, Corporations II (Advanced Business Law), University of Manitoba, Faculty of Law
- Clerk to the Honourable Chief Justice J.A. Isaac, Federal Court of Canada, 1996-1997
- Lecturer, Corporate Compliance (Corporate Counsel Sub-Section of the Canadian Bar Association)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Major Donors Cabinet, United Way of Winnipeg
- Member, The Associates
- Trustee, FortWhyte Alive
- Member, Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce Transportation Leadership Council
Publications / Presentations
- Presenter, “Good Faith and Fair Dealing in the Execution of Transport Contracts” (Canadian Transport Lawyers Association Annual Conference, 2011)
- Co-Presenter, The Evolution of Conduct and Management Authority in Gaming (Canadian Association of Gaming Regulators Conference, 2007)
- Co-Presenter, Privacy Law in the Purchase and Sale of a Business (Manitoba Bar Association Mid-Winter Meetings, 2004)
- Co-Author, Professional Corporations (Law Society of Manitoba, 2000)
- Author, Wealth Effects and Agency Conflict in Division Management Buyouts (University of Toronto Faculty Law Review, 1996)
- Presenter, A Legal and Business Guide to Gaming (Canadian Institute Conference)