"I practise law with a simple but important mission statement: to provide my clients with clear, practical legal advice in a cost-effective, timely manner. I strive to identify solutions, to clarify, and to find the pathways to my clients success."
Areas of Focus
Jody is the Chair of the Commercial Department and a member of the Executive Committee of Fillmore Riley LLP. He maintains a dynamic corporate and commercial practice, with special emphasis on mergers & acquisitions, real estate and leasing transactions, pension and financing matters. He acts as lead engagement partner for some of Manitoba’s largest companies, institutions and pension funds.
He is one of only four lawyers to be recognized in Manitoba as a Band One-ranked lawyer by Chambers Canada in Corporate/Commercial Law.
Jody is of Métis descent and speaks French. He has taken a keen interest in economic development work with Manitoba First Nations and Tribal Councils.
Jody is a member of the United Way Winnipeg Campaign Cabinet and is the Co-Chair of the Professionals Division. He is the Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees of FortWhyte Alive and played a key role in establishing the Fillmore Riley Internship at FortWhyte Farms, a flagship initiative to empower underserved youth through paid internships. He has also been active with the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, sitting as a member of its Transportation Leadership Council.
Jody has published articles in the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Law Review and for the Law Society of Manitoba. He is a frequent lecturer and has taught advanced business law at the University of Manitoba’s Faculty of Law.
After graduating with distinction from the University of Toronto Faculty of Law, Jody was law clerk to the Honourable Chief Justice J.A. Isaac of the Federal Court of Canada, Appellate Division.
- Member, Management Committee, Fillmore Riley LLP
- Chair, Commercial Law Department, Fillmore Riley LLP
- Member, the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce Transportation Leadership Council
- Former Instructor, Corporations II (Advanced Business Law), University of Manitoba, Faculty of Law
- Clerk to the Honourable Chief Justice J.A. Isaac, Federal Court of Canada, 1996-1997
- Lecturer, Corporate Compliance (Corporate Counsel Sub-Section of the Canadian Bar Association)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Major Donors Cabinet, United Way of Winnipeg
- Member, The Associates
- Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees, FortWhyte Alive
- Member, Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce Transportation Leadership Council
Publications / Presentations
- Presenter, “Good Faith and Fair Dealing in the Execution of Transport Contracts” (Canadian Transport Lawyers Association Annual Conference, 2011)
- Co-Presenter, The Evolution of Conduct and Management Authority in Gaming (Canadian Association of Gaming Regulators Conference, 2007)
- Co-Presenter, Privacy Law in the Purchase and Sale of a Business (Manitoba Bar Association Mid-Winter Meetings, 2004)
- Co-Author, Professional Corporations (Law Society of Manitoba, 2000)
- Author, Wealth Effects and Agency Conflict in Division Management Buyouts (University of Toronto Faculty Law Review, 1996)
- Presenter, A Legal and Business Guide to Gaming (Canadian Institute Conference)