Dan’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and structuring and major asset transactions.
A significant aspect of Dan’s practice involves advising on all aspects of commercial and multifamily real estate. He facilitates and conducts real property acquisitions, divestitures and project financing, working with holders of real estate portfolios, developers and public authorities. He also advises on the business of real estate development and management, including leasing and corporate governance matters.
In addition, Dan has particular experience in partnership law and structuring limited partnerships in a broad range of industries.
Dan is the chair of the firm’s real estate practice and a member of the Executive Committee of the firm.
- Represented the Ironclad Group on its sale of several new construction multifamily apartment buildings in Manitoba and British Columbia to various purchasers for aggregate sale proceeds in excess of $425 million
- Represented the shareholders of the Penner International group of companies on their sale of shares and the more than 300 underlying tractors to C.A.T. Inc.
- Represented Congebec Inc. in its purchase of the multi-temperature storage and asset light transportation business of Westco MultiTemp Distribution Centres Inc., which included more than 600,000 square feet of multi-temperature warehouse facilities located in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta
- Represented several Manitoba School Divisions in respect of school site acquisitions, divestitures of former school properties, the tendering and negotiating of significant service agreements and the entering into of education agreements with Manitoba First Nations
- Represented a publicly traded hotelier in its sale of hotels across Western Canada and Ontario for sale proceeds in excess of $70 million
- Represented an asset manager in respect of its structuring and formation of a limited partnership capital pool and the subsequent co-venture investment by such limited partnership in a major Winnipeg mixed use retail/office tower.
- Counsel in respect of the merger of several of the province’s Caisse Populaires which, on completion, created a Caisse Populaire with 27 branches and over $800 million in aggregate assets
- Represented a private investor in its acquisition and financing of a large portfolio of multifamily apartment buildings in Winnipeg
- Represented the vendors on the sale of Unicity Integrated Logistics and Unicity Custom Services to PBB Global Income Fund for $45 million
- Senior member of the team which represented Western Financial Group in its acquisition of Hayhurst Elias Dudek Inc.
- Senior member of the team which represented Frantic Films Corporation on the sale of its visual effects division to a publicly traded company based in Mumbai, India, and the subsequent sale of Frantic Films Corporation to KEW Media Group, a listed special-purpose acquisition company
- Presenter, “Vendor Considerations in Share Purchase Agreements” (Law Society of Manitoba, October 2020)
- University of Manitoba, LLB, 2000
- Manitoba, 2001
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch