"Our job is to solve our clients' problems by finding and following the shortest routes possible to achieving their goals."
Areas of Focus
Steven is a partner of Fillmore Riley LLP and deals with complex commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation, and trademark prosecution. He is a trained mediator and is a registered trademark agent. He has represented clients in intellectual property matters before Canada’s Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal, the Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench and Court of Appeal, and the federal Trademarks Opposition Board.
Steven’s trademark practice has developed over many years and, due to referrals from other practitioners, he now assists brand owners who are located in Manitoba, across Canada, and around the world. Similarly, Steven has assisted his clients in protecting their intellectual property rights both nationally and internationally.
Although he very much enjoys the cut and thrust of litigation, as most lawsuits settle, he has pursued his interest in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and has successfully served as mediator in intellectual property and other matters. Steven is a member of the International Trademark Association’s Panel of Trademark Mediators, which has been very successful in resolving trademark and unfair competition disputes without litigation.Steven is recognized as a mediator with IP Neutrals of Canada and has been admitted as a member of the Arbitration & Mediation Institute of Manitoba and the ADR Institute of Canada.
He is a Fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and is a member of the Advocates Society of Manitoba.
- Past Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, College of Patent Agents and Trademark Agents
- Member, Trademarks Committee of the Canadian Bar Association's Intellectual Property Section
- Member, International Trademark Association’s Panel of Trademark Mediators (formerly the Panel of Neutrals)
- Director and Mediator Member, IP Neutrals of Canada
- Member, Canada Subcommittee of the Anticounterfeiting Committee of the International Trademark Association
- Member, CAN-TECH, the Canadian Technology Law Association
- Member, the ADR Institute of Canada and the ADR Institute of Manitoba, Inc.
- Member, Community Legal Education Association
- Chair, Technology and Intellectual Property Practice Group
- Chair, Trademark Practice Group
- Former Examiner, Law Society of Manitoba Bar Admission course, Ethics
- Member, Canadian and Manitoba Bar Associations
- Former Board Member, Manitoba Children's Museum
- Former Member, Financial Advisory Committee, Sharon Home Inc., a personal care home
- Former Board Member, Sharon Home Fund Inc., the fundraising arm of the personal care home
- Former Member, Audit Committee, Jewish Foundation of Manitoba
- Former Board Member, Chai Folk Arts Council Inc.
- Former soccer and basketball coach
Publications / Presentations
- Author, "What’s yours is mine—Crown copyright in Canada" (Clearing The Way, A publication of Duminiak Law, E-edition #7: World Update - Canada, December 19, 2019)
- Author, "House Plans and Copyright: Sometimes it doesn't pay to shop around" (Piling Canada, Q2, 2018)
- Author, "Dispute Resolution Clauses Can't be Ignored: Proceed with caution!" (Piling Canada, Q4, 2017)
- Author, "Concerned about counterfeits? Call the cops?" (Fillmore Riley News, September 2017)
- Author, "Why Mediation Sometimes Fails in IP Disputes (And What You Can Do to Avoid Failure)" (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, Mediation Roundtable, May/June 2017)
- Author, "Building a Brand? Best to own it!" (Piling Canada, Q1, 2017)
- Co-Author, "Complex Multi-Party Mediations—A Different Kind of Animal" (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, Mediation Roundtable, November/December 2016)
- Author, "The Inside Scoop: A Prothonotary Advises Counsel How to Make Mediation Work for Their Clients" (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, Mediation Roundtable, July/August 2016)
- Author, "Taking charge of their fate: Why parties should discuss ADR with their advisors" (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, Mediation Roundtable, May/June 2016)
- Author, "Negotiation Hint: If Something is Important to You, Ask About It!" (Labour News Reported, (2016), 26 E.L.L.R. 6)
- Co-Author, "When Mediation Makes All the Difference" (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, Mediation Roundtable, November/December 2015)
- Author, "Drinking + Driving = Dismissal: One Event Can End Employment" (Marketplace Magazine, September/October 2012)
- Author, "Trade-Marks Are Valuable: That Is Why There Are So Many Fakes!" (Marketplace Magazine Online, Winter 2010)
- Author, "The Perils of Cyber-Squatting, Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada" ((2008-09) 9 I.E.C.L.C., April 2009)
- Author, "Liability of officers and directors for corporate patent infringement: Mentmore revisited" (The Lawyers Weekly, December 17, 2004)
- Panelist, Federal Court Rules, (Canadian Bar Association / Federal Court of Canada, 1998)
- Lecturer, Trade Secrets, Copyright, Trademarks, and IP Litigation (University of Manitoba - Certificate in Intellectual Property and Technology Commercialization Management)
- Chair and Panelist, Intellectual Property (Law Society of Manitoba - Continuing Legal Education Program)
- Panelist, Federal Court Rules (Law Society of Manitoba - Continuing Legal Education Program, 1998)
- Presenter, Canadian Innovation Centre / Western Economic Diversification Western Canada
- Contributor, Law Society of Manitoba, Continuing Legal Education Program (Remedies for Infringement of Intellectual Property)
- Workshop for Inventors, Innovators, and Entrepreneurs on Protecting Intellectual Property