"My strengths are cost-effective, proactive and results-oriented litigation. With over 25 years of experience as a litigator, I can provide sound advice on efficient litigation strategy or when and how to choose alternative resolutions. "
Areas of Focus
Bernice is a partner of Fillmore Riley LLP and maintains a comprehensive commercial insurance litigation practice including general insurance defence, professional errors and omissions, product liability, construction, subrogation and coverage. She also practises in the areas of municipal liability, administrative law, and employment law.
Bernice's clients include the Municipal General Insurance Program maintained by the Association of Manitoba Municipalities and the Liability Insurance Program handled by the Manitoba School Boards Association. She is the Manitoba lawyer for a number of health-care professional liability programs. Her clients include a variety of other Canadian, American, and international insurance companies.
She has appeared before all levels of court in Manitoba, as well as the Manitoba Labour Relations Board, Automobile Injury Compensation Appeal Commission, and the Appeals Commission, and the Federal Court of Canada.
Recently, Bernice acted as counsel to the Rural Municipality of Montcalm in defending an action brought against it by John Penner and Richard Boon in relation to tax sales of various properties (2019 MBQB 122). The Manitoba Court of Queen’s Bench granted Montcalm’s request for summary judgment dismissing the claim, and awarded lawyer and own client costs against the plaintiffs in favour of Montcalm.
Bernice also counsels and represents clients in Alternative Dispute Resolutions and mediations.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Management Committee, Fillmore Riley LLP
- Chair, Litigation Practice Group
- Chair, Municipal Law Practice Group
- Chair, Library Committee
Publications / Presentations
- Regular author of articles on insurance law, risk management, municipal and general litigation issues
- Lecturer and presenter to various insurance companies and other entities
- Author, "Proper Handling of a Neighbour Dispute" (Municipal Leader, 2014)
- Author, "No Really Means No: The Evolution of the Law on Sexual Assault in Canada and Manitoba" (Winnipeg Women Magazine, Spring 2014)
- Author, "Conflict of Interest Controversies" (Municipal Leader, Fall 2013)
- Author, "Beware the Apple Caramel Cheesecake" (Winnipeg Women Magazine, Fall 2012)