Sven is an experienced administrative lawyer with a practice at the intersection of law and policy.
He focuses primarily on regulated utilities and has acted as legal counsel to Manitoba’s energy regulator in general rate applications for electric and natural gas utilities, cost of service matters, and the economic review of a major hydroelectric development project. He has also acted as intervener counsel in several matters before the British Columbia Utilities Commission and appeared before the courts of Manitoba and Ontario on matters of contaminated sites, product liability, and construction disputes.
Sven combines a technical background in engineering with a passion for writing. He is an advocate for plain language and making complicated regulatory tribunal decisions understandable to a general audience. Before rejoining Fillmore Riley in 2022, he served as a legislative drafter for the provincial government for six years, writing both primary and secondary law. In private practice, he continues to provide drafting services to municipalities.
He is fluent in English, German and French.
Energy & Regulatory
- Counsel to the Mining Association of British Columbia (MABC) in BC Hydro’s Transmission Service Rate Design Application
- Counsel to the Manitoba Public Utilities Board in Manitoba Hydro’s 2023/24 & 2024/25 General Rate Application
- Counsel to the Manitoba Public Utilities Board in the establishment of a Revised Code of Conduct for Direct Purchase Natural Gas Transactions
- Counsel to the Manitoba Public Utilities Board in Centra Gas Manitoba Inc.’s Cost of Service Methodology Review
- Counsel to the Residential Consumer Intervener Association (RCIA) in several matters before the British Columbia Utilities Commission
- Counsel to the Public Utilities Board in the review of Manitoba Hydro's Preferred Development Plan
Legislation & Regulation
- Drafting a new vehicle for hire by-law for a Manitoba municipality
- Principal drafter for highway traffic matters in Manitoba from 2016 to 2022
- Principal drafter of several amendments to Manitoba’s pension legislation, including amendments to The Pension Benefits Act, The Civil Service Superannuation Act, and The Teachers’ Pensions Act
- Principal drafter of several amendments to Manitoba’s Pension Benefits Regulation, including the creation of a provision for adverse deviation (PFAD) regime and hardship unlocking provisions
- University of Toronto, JD, 2005
- University of Manitoba, MSc (Environmental Engineering), 2002
- University of North Dakota, BSc (Civil Engineering), 2000
- Manitoba, 2010
- Ontario, 2006
- Member, L’Association des juristes d’expression française du Manitoba
- Member, Commonwealth Association of Legislative Counsel
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch