- T:(204) 954 6439
- F:(204) 954 0358
Sven practises administrative and regulatory law and dispute resolution, with a focus on utility rate regulation, environmental law, construction litigation and the regulation of financial institutions.
An experienced administrative lawyer with a background in engineering, Sven has appeared before the Public Utilities Board on matters of rate regulation, capital expansion projects and energy efficiency investments. He has also appeared before courts in Manitoba and Ontario on matters of product liability, responsibility for the clean-up of contaminated sites and construction liens.
Sven has specialized expertise in legislative drafting and the development of regulatory frameworks. From 2016 to 2022, he served as a legislative drafter for the Government of Manitoba. While in private practice, he has drafted by-laws for Manitoba municipalities and a code of conduct for regulated direct gas marketers.
Sven is fluent in English, German and French.
- Co-Counsel to the Manitoba Public Utilities Board on its Needs For and Alternatives To (NFAT) Review of Manitoba Hydro's Preferred Development Plan.
- Principal drafter of several amendments to Manitoba’s pension legislation, including amendments to The Pension Benefits Act, The Civil Service Superannuation Act, and The Teachers’ Pensions Act.
- Principal drafter of several amendments to Manitoba’s Pension Benefits Regulation, including the creation of a provision for adverse deviation (PFAD) regime and hardship unlocking provisions.
- Author, International Comparative Legal Guide to Environment & Climate Change Law, (2014)
- Author, International Comparative Legal Guide to Environment & Climate Change Law, (2013)
- Author, Canada Chapter, ICLG, International Comparative Legal Guide to Environment Law, (2012)
- Author, Taking Charge of By-Law Enforcement, Municipal Leader, (2011)
- University of Toronto, JD, 2005
- University of Manitoba, MSc (Environmental Engineering), 2002
- University of North Dakota, BSc (Civil Engineering), 2000
- Manitoba, 2010
- Ontario, 2006
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch
- Past Chair, Legislation and Regulation Committee, Manitoba Environmental Industries Association (2011-2014)