CEO & Managing Partner
- T:(204) 957 8347
- F:(204) 954 0347
Stuart is the CEO & Managing Partner of Fillmore Riley LLP. Recognized as one of Canada's most accomplished insurance lawyers, Stuart draws on his 30 years of experience and his in-depth understanding of insurance law to deliver prompt, tailored advice.
Stuart represents Canadian-, American- and London-based insurers as defence, subrogation and coverage counsel. His practice encompasses commercial liability insurance, large loss construction claims, general insurance defence matters, aviation law, professional errors and omissions insurance, life and disability claims, product liability, fire claims and complex coverage disputes. He has appeared at all levels of Court in Manitoba and courts of other provinces. He also has extensive alternative dispute resolution experience.
Stuart is a member of CancerCare Manitoba Foundation’s Board of Directors. He has served as president of the Winnipeg Humane Society, campaign chair of the Canadian Blood Services Cord Blood Campaign and a counsel member of the Manitoba Bar Association. His profound commitment to community service has been recognized by his receipt of the Manitoba Bar Association Community Service Award.
Stuart became a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, one of North America’s premier legal industry associations, in 2021. He is also a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Benchmark Litigation, Insurance — Litigation Star
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Insurance Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2018 Lawyer of the Year, Insurance Law (Winnipeg)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2023, Litigation — Commercial Insurance
- Chambers Canada, Litigation: General Commercial (Manitoba) — Leading Practitioner
- Defence counsel for building fabricator in $5-million claim involving City of Portage Rec Centre, City of Portage la Prairie, et al v. Towers Engineering Group Limited Partnership, et al v. Behlen Industries Inc.
- Coverage counsel in connection with a $8-million claim involving Armistice Way Retirement Residence, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Armistice Way 2 Facility Inc. v. Manshield (ALTA) Construction Inc., et al
- Defence counsel for Winnipeg Airports Authority in relation to liability claims
- Defence counsel handling claims for Saskatoon, Regina, Thunder Bay, Sioux St. Marie Airport
- Defence counsel for gun manufacturer in connection with product liability claim, Procter v. Savage Arms Inc., et al
- Defence counsel for M.D. Helicopters in connection with multiple claims arising from a double fatality accident. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Redekopp/Wilson v. M.D. Helicopters Inc., et al
- Defence counsel for Golder Associates in connection with $10-million claim involving the design and construction of CentrePort Canada Way transportation corridor, SNC-Lavalin Constructors (Pacific) Inc. v. Golder Associates Ltd.
- Defence counsel for heating and cooling company in relation to a claim for CO2 poisoning, Lacey, et al v. Mikkelsen-Coward & Co. Ltd.
- Counsel for the owner of a business consultant company in recovery of funds from its pay roll provider, 2618967 Manitoba Ltd. v. Ceridian Canada Ltd.
- Defence counsel for insurer of a major building envelope supplier (Henry Company Canada, Inc.) in relation to a $20-million claim in connection with the construction of the Sioux St. Marie Hospital, EllisDon Carillion (Sault) Joint Venture v. Henry Company Canada, Inc., et al , Superior Court of Justice
- Counsel for CUMIS – defence of wide range of claims involving Credit Unions
- Defence counsel for contractor in relation to a $2-million claim, 5739026 Manitoba Ltd. v. S & J Construction Ltd., et al
- Defence counsel for insurers in connection with construction deficiencies at Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport, EllisDon Corporation v. Lloyd’s Underwriters, et al
- Subrogation counsel in connection with $10-million fire loss, M.B.T. Holdings Ltd., et al v. Stoneridge Construction Ltd.
- Subrogation counsel in connection with multiple complex aviation-related claims
- Subrogation counsel in connection with $10-million fire loss involving Brandon, Manitoba apartment complex
- Counsel for engineering firm in connection with dispute related to construction of the Rural Municipality of Gimli Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion, Kingdom Construction Limited v. The Rural Municipality of Gimli, et al
- Defence counsel for appraisal firm, Cameron Stephens Financial Corporation, et al v. Altus Group Limited.
- Defence counsel to City of Dryden Police Services Board in relation to alleged assault claim, Land v. Dryden Police Services Board Ontario et al
- Defence counsel to Anishinaabe Abinoojii Family Services in relation to alleged wrongful care, Kokopenace v. Anishinaabe Abinoojii Family Services et al
- Counsel handling various disciplinary matters for Engineers Geoscientists of Manitoba
- Defence counsel for insurers in defence of 100-plus fraudulent claims
- Defence counsel to various aviation insurers in 50-plus claims
- Defence counsel for insurers handling 100-plus dispute resolution mediations
- Stuart has written articles for specialty insurance publications, presented papers and conducted many seminars to various insurance groups and professional bodies, including The Insurance Brokers Association of Manitoba and the Manitoba Chapter of the Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association.
- University of Manitoba, LLB, 1988
- University of Manitoba, BA, 1985
- Manitoba, 1989
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch
- Past Council Member, Manitoba Bar Association