In more than 40 years of practising as insurance counsel, Charles has developed a reputation as one of the foremost insurance lawyers in Manitoba. His clients include all major Canadian, several significant American and many specialty insurers. He advises on complex, multi-party cases in a broad range of industries, with particular strength in professional liability and complex coverage matters.
Charles is a prominent figure in the Winnipeg legal community. He was a sessional instructor at the University of Manitoba law school, teaching insurance law, and he has served in leadership positions in numerous community organizations, including his current service as an executive member of the Riverview Health Centre board and as a member of the Endowment Funds Advisory Committee of the University of Manitoba law school. He is a founding member and past President of the Risk Management Counsel of Canada.
Charles has appeared before all levels of court in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nunavut, in addition to numerous arbitrations and alternative dispute resolution processes.
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Insurance Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2020 & 2017 Lawyer of the Year, Insurance Law (Winnipeg)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2022, Litigation - Commercial Insurance
- Acts for a private long-term care operator, through its insurer, as defence counsel in class proceedings related to COVID-19
- Represents the Government of Nunavut, through its liability insurer, in respect of negligence and related claims against health centres, hospitals and professional staff
- Coverage counsel for a major insurer of a construction firm in respect of long-running multi-party, multi-interest litigation related to the construction of a stadium in Winnipeg
- University of Manitoba, LLB, 1978
- University of Manitoba, BA (Honours), 1973
- Nunavut, 2008
- Saskatchewan, 1983
- Manitoba, 1979
- Member, Canadian Bar Association, Manitoba Branch