"I strive to provide my clients with pragmatic, effective and timely advice to assist them in achieving their desired results."
Areas of Focus
Celia is a partner with Fillmore Riley LLP and practises primarily in the areas of employment, labour, human rights and insurance law.
She provides advice to employers and employees on various matters including:
- employment contracts
- employee manuals and policies
- discipline, terminations, wrongful dismissals and constructive dismissals
- employment standards
- human rights issues including discrimination, accommodation and harassment
- the negotiation, interpretation and application of collective agreements
- workplace investigations
- general employment and labour issues
Celia has appeared before the Manitoba Labour Board, arbitration boards, the Manitoba Human Rights Commission, and all court levels in Manitoba. She also has experience and represents clients in alternative dispute resolutions and mediations.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Human Resources Committee, Fillmore Riley LLP
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employer (CACE)
Publications / Presentations
- Author, “Demystifying Constructive Dismissal” (The Brief Volume 8 Issue 1, Fall 2016)
- Author, "Legitimate, long-term absences and the employer’s duty to accommodate" (The Brief Volume 6 Issue 2, Fall/Winter 2014)
- Co-Author, "Recent Amendments to The Insurance Act of Manitoba" (The Brief Volume 5 Issue 1, Fall/Winter 2013)
- Presenter, "Recent Amendments to the Insurance Act of Manitoba" (Manitoba Bar Association Litigation Sub-Section, October 2013)
- Co-Author, “The Privilege of Wills: Solicitor-Client Privilege Before and After Death” (2013), 32 E.T.P.J. 157
- Author, "Five best practices when letting an employee go" (The Brief Volume 4 Issue 1, Spring/Summer 2012)