"Litigation, especially Estate Litigation, is a stressful time for clients. Those involved need a lawyer who not only understands the law but the clients' needs as well. I work very hard to be that lawyer."
Areas of Focus
Dana is a partner of Fillmore Riley LLP and practises mainly in the areas of general civil litigation, insurance litigation, estate litigation, and privacy law. He is the Co-Chair of Fillmore Riley LLP's Wills & Estates Practice Group.
Dana was selected by Benchmark Litigation Canada as a Litigation Star both nationally and in Manitoba in the practice areas of Estate Litigation for the years 2012/2018. The selection of lawyers is based on extensive interviews with litigators and their clients.
What is Estate Litigation? To learn more, click here.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Course Instructor, Law Society of Manitoba Bar Admissions Course Civil Litigation 1984 - 1989
- Law Society of Manitoba Continuing Legal Education Courses
- Past President, Chair of the Board of Directors, B'nai Brith Community Camp
- Former Board Member, Rainbow Stage
Publications / Presentations
Dana has presented numerous papers and provided several lectures and seminars to various professional and industry bodies, including:
Power of Attorney
- Author, "Financial healthcare for travellers abroad" (The Brief Volume 7 Issue 3, Fall/Winter 2015)
- Co-Author, "The Dos and Don'ts for a Power of Attorney" (The Brief Volume 4 Issue 2, Fall/Winter 2012)
- Author, "The Will for the 21st Century: Enduring Powers of Attorney" (The Brief Volume 2 Issue 1, Fall 2010)
- Author & Presenter, "Powers of Attorney: A Litigation Perspective" (Law Society of Manitoba, Continuing Professional Development Program, May 2010)
- Author & Presenter, "Costs in Estate Litigation: Hryniak, McDougald and Alternative Resolutions Models" (Law Society of Manitoba, November 2017)
- What is Estate Litigation?
- Author & Presenter, "Solicitor Client Privilege in Estate Litigation" (Law Society of Manitoba, October 2012)
- Co-Author & Presenter, "Professionals, Privilege and Problems" (STEP Canada, September 2012)
- Author & Presenter, "Removing of Personal Representatives—A Manitoba Perspective"(Manitoba Mid-Winter Bar Convention, January 2011)
- Chair, Wills & Estates Practice Issues for Litigators (Law Society of Manitoba, Continued Professional Development Program October 1998)
- Estate Litigation—Compensation for Personal Representatives (Estate Planning Council of Winnipeg, February 19, 1998)
- Author, "When the Family Business Fails" (The Brief Volume 3 Issue 2 Fall 2011)
- Co-Author & Presenter, “When the Family Business Fails” (Estate Planning Council of Winnipeg, November 1, 2010)
- Author, "Remedies on Default Advising Landlords Selected Issues" (Law Society of Manitoba, Continued Professional Development Program, November 2003)
- Chair, Family Owned Businesses; Dealing with Disputes (April 1998) >
- Author, "The Dissenting Shareholder and the Fair Value Action" (Law Society of Manitoba, Continued Professional Development Program, January 12, 1995
- Author, "Injunction in the Debtor/Creditor Context" (Law Society of Manitoba, Continued Professional Development Program, April 1991)
- Author, "The Impact of Privacy Law including PIPEDA on Civil Litigation" (Law Society of Manitoba, Continued Professional Development Program, April 2004)
- Author, "Personal Information Protection and Documents Act" (PIPEDA) An Overview (Manitoba Insurance Brokers, October 2003)
- Co-Author, "The Impact of PIPEDA on Manitoba Businesses" (Manitoba Business, December 2003)
• Author, The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and The Civil Litigation Process (Law Society of Manitoba, November 2003)
- Chair, Manitoba Bar Association Mid-Winter Convention, The Class Proceedings Act (February 2003)
- Author, Recent Insurance Law Developments in Manitoba of The Class Proceedings Act (Insurance Industry Seminar, March 2003)
- Author and Presenter, Search and Seizure in the Administrative Law Context (Isaac Pitblado Lectures on Evidence Recent Developments and Directions, November, 1987)