"Litigation, especially Estate Litigation, is a stressful time for clients. Those involved need a lawyer who not only understands the law but the clients' needs as well. I work very hard to be that lawyer."
Areas of Focus
Dana is a partner of Fillmore Riley LLP and practises mainly in the areas of general civil litigation, insurance litigation, estate litigation, and privacy law. He is the Co-Chair of Fillmore Riley LLP's Wills & Estates Practice Group.
Dana was selected by Benchmark Litigation Canada as a Litigation Star both nationally and in Manitoba in the practice areas of Estate Litigation for the years 2012 to 2020. The selection of lawyers is based on extensive interviews with litigators and their clients.
What is Estate Litigation? To learn more, click here.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Course Instructor, Law Society of Manitoba Bar Admissions Course Civil Litigation 1984 - 1989
- Law Society of Manitoba Continuing Legal Education Courses
- Past President, Chair of the Board of Directors, B'nai Brith Community Camp
- Former Board Member, Rainbow Stage
Publications / Presentations
Dana has presented numerous papers and provided several lectures and seminars to various professional and industry bodies, including:
Power of Attorney
- Author, "Financial healthcare for travellers abroad" (The Brief Volume 7 Issue 3, Fall/Winter 2015)
- Co-Author, "The Dos and Don'ts for a Power of Attorney" (The Brief Volume 4 Issue 2, Fall/Winter 2012)
- Author, "The Will for the 21st Century: Enduring Powers of Attorney" (The Brief Volume 2 Issue 1, Fall 2010)
- Author & Presenter, "Powers of Attorney: A Litigation Perspective" (Law Society of Manitoba, Continuing Professional Development Program, May 2010)
- Author & Presenter, "Costs in Estate Litigation: Hryniak, McDougald and Alternative Resolutions Models" (Law Society of Manitoba, November 2017)
- What is Estate Litigation?
- Author & Presenter, "Solicitor Client Privilege in Estate Litigation" (Law Society of Manitoba, October 2012)
- Co-Author & Presenter, "Professionals, Privilege and Problems" (STEP Canada, September 2012)
- Author & Presenter, "Removing of Personal Representatives—A Manitoba Perspective"(Manitoba Mid-Winter Bar Convention, January 2011)
- Chair, Wills & Estates Practice Issues for Litigators (Law Society of Manitoba, Continued Professional Development Program October 1998)
- Estate Litigation—Compensation for Personal Representatives (Estate Planning Council of Winnipeg, February 19, 1998)
- Author, "When the Family Business Fails" (The Brief Volume 3 Issue 2 Fall 2011)
- Co-Author & Presenter, “When the Family Business Fails” (Estate Planning Council of Winnipeg, November 1, 2010)
- Author, "Remedies on Default Advising Landlords Selected Issues" (Law Society of Manitoba, Continued Professional Development Program, November 2003)
- Chair, Family Owned Businesses; Dealing with Disputes (April 1998) >
- Author, "The Dissenting Shareholder and the Fair Value Action" (Law Society of Manitoba, Continued Professional Development Program, January 12, 1995
- Author, "Injunction in the Debtor/Creditor Context" (Law Society of Manitoba, Continued Professional Development Program, April 1991)
- Chair, Manitoba Bar Association Mid-Winter Convention, The Class Proceedings Act (February 2003)
- Author, Recent Insurance Law Developments in Manitoba of The Class Proceedings Act (Insurance Industry Seminar, March 2003)
- Author and Presenter, Search and Seizure in the Administrative Law Context (Isaac Pitblado Lectures on Evidence Recent Developments and Directions, November, 1987)