"My goal is to resolve my clients' problems as quickly and efficiently as possible--it's that simple."
Areas of Focus
Charles practises primarily in the areas of insurance law, civil litigation and mediation.
Charles represents several Canadian and American insurance companies as defense, subrogation, and coverage counsel in a wide variety of areas, with emphasis on professional liability and property and casualty insurance, among others. He also provides counsel on insurance matters to professional firms, governments, and crown corporations. Charles has been regularly recognized by Lexpert, Best Lawyers and Benchmark Litigation in the Insurance field. He has developed particular expertise in the areas of coverage analysis, arson and fraud, fire claims, and specialty professional defence.
His practice includes representation of clients in various alternative dispute resolution modes, before both private and judicial forums.
Charles has written articles for specialty insurance publications, and presents papers, and conducts seminars on insurance topics for the insurance industry and professional associations. He was a sessional lecturer and taught the Insurance Law class at Robson Hall, University of Manitoba.
- Past Sessional Lecturer, Insurance Law Course, University of Manitoba - Faculty of Law
- Past President and Founding Member, Risk Management Counsel of Canada
- Continuing Legal Education Courses and various professional and insurance industry bodies
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association and past chair of Civil Litigation, Alternative Dispute Resolution and Insurance Law Sub-Sections
- Member, Canadian Association of Fire Investigators
- Trained in mediation techniques
- Member, Board of Directors Riverview Health Centre
- Member, Endowment Funds Advisory Committee, University of Manitoba Law School
- Past Activities
- Co-Chairperson, Personal Care Home Assessment Committee of the Italian League of Manitoba
- Co-Chair, Foundation Board of St. Raphael Centre
- Board of Directors, St. Mary's Academy Foundation
- Board of Directors, Centro Caboto Centre
- Venue Team Leader, Soccer, 1999 Pan American Games
- Board of Directors, Italian Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Board of Directors, Winnipeg Fury Soccer Club
- Board of Directors, St. Paul's High School
- Board Member and Vice Chair, Manitoba Children's Museum
- Italian Canadian Professional Association of Manitoba
- Board Member and Vice-President, the Italian Canadian League of Manitoba
- Member and Past Executive, Fratellanza Amatese
Publications / Presentations
- Lectures and seminars for Manitoba Bar Association
- Lectures presented to Bar Admission course students and Robson Hall Law School
- Seminars and lectures for various industry bodies, including Fire Commissioners Office (Fire College), Manitoba Insurance Adjusters Association and Insurance Institute of Manitoba