"As an experienced insurance lawyer, I know my clients' needs and strive to provide direct and practical advice that is always timely."
Areas of Focus
Stuart is a partner of Fillmore Riley LLP and practises primarily in the areas of civil litigation, professional regulation and insurance law, with an emphasis on commercial liability insurance, large loss construction claims, general insurance defence matters, aviation law, professional errors and omissions insurance, life and disability claims, product liability, fire claims, and complex coverage disputes. He is also the Chair of the Insurance Law practice group and is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Stuart represents several Canadian-, American,- and London-based insurance companies as defence, subrogation, and coverage counsel. He has appeared in all levels of court in Manitoba and the Federal Court of Canada. He has extensive experience representing clients in mediation under various ADR schemes.
Stuart has been recognized annually by “Best Lawyers in Canada” in the insurance field since 2008. He is also recognized as a leading lawyer in product liability in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Fundraiser, CancerCare Manitoba Foundation
- Member and Past Council Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Management Committee
- Chair, Marketing Committee
- Member, Compensation Committee
- Member, Board of Directors, CancerCare Manitoba Foundation
- Past Manitoba Campaign Cabinet Chair, Canadian Blood Services Cord Blood Campaign
- Past President, Winnipeg Humane Society
- Campaign Cabinet Member, Winnipeg Humane Society, 2008
- Recipient, 2007 Manitoba Bar Association Community Service Award
- Volunteer high school debate judge
Publications / Presentations
Stuart has written articles for specialty insurance publications, presented papers, and conducted many seminars to various insurance groups and professional bodies, including The Insurance Brokers Association of Manitoba and the Manitoba Chapter of the Canadian Insurance Claims Managers Association.