"Our job is to solve our clients' problems by finding and following the shortest routes possible to achieving their goals."
Areas of Focus
Steven is a partner of Fillmore Riley LLP and deals with complex commercial litigation, intellectual property litigation, and trademark prosecution. He is a trained mediator and is a registered trademark agent.
Although he very much enjoys the cut and thrust of litigation, as most law suits settle, he has pursued his interest in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and has successfully served as mediator in intellectual property and other matters. Steven is a member of the International Trademark Association’s Panel of Trademark Mediators (formerly the Panel of Neutrals), an innovative ADR program that has been very successful in resolving trademark and unfair competition disputes without litigation.
Steven is recognized as a mediator with IP Neutrals of Canada and has been admitted as a member of the Arbitration & Mediation Institute of Manitoba and the ADR Institute of Canada.
He is a Fellow of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada and is a member of the Advocates Society of Manitoba
- Member, Canadian and Manitoba Bar Associations
- Chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Trademarks Committee of the Canadian Bar Association's Intellectual Property Section
- Member, International Trademark Association’s Panel of Trademark Mediators (formerly the Panel of Neutrals)
- Mediator member of IP Neutrals of Canada
- Member, Canada Subcommittee of the Anticounterfeiting Committee of the International Trademark Association
- Member, the ADR Institute of Canada and the ADR Institute of Manitoba, Inc.
- Member, Community Legal Education Association
- Chair, Technology and Intellectual Property Practice Group
- Chair, Trademark Practice Group
- Former Examiner, Law Society of Manitoba Bar Admission course, Ethics
- Former Board Member, Manitoba Children's Museum
- Former Member, Financial Advisory Committee, Sharon Home Inc., a personal care home
- Former Board Member, Sharon Home Fund Inc., the fundraising arm of the personal care home
- Former Member, Audit Committee, Jewish Foundation of Manitoba
- Former Board Member, Chai Folk Arts Council Inc.
- Former soccer and basketball coach
Publications / Presentations
- Author, "Building a Brand? Best to own it!" (Piling Canada, Q1, 2017)
- Co-Author, "Complex Multi-Party Mediations—A Different Kind of Animal" (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, Mediation Roundtable, November/December 2016)
- Author, "The Inside Scoop: A Prothonotary Advises Counsel How to Make Mediation Work for Their Clients" (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, Mediation Roundtable, July/August 2016)
- Author, "Taking charge of their fate: Why parties should discuss ADR with their advisors" (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, Mediation Roundtable, May/June 2016)
- Author, "Negotiation Hint: If Something is Important to You, Ask About It!" (Labour News Reported, (2016), 26 E.L.L.R. 6)
- Co-Author, "When Mediation Makes All the Difference" (Intellectual Property Institute of Canada Bulletin, Mediation Roundtable, November/December 2015)
- Author, "Drinking + Driving = Dismissal: One Event Can End Employment" (Marketplace Magazine, September/October 2012)
- Author, "Trade-Marks Are Valuable: That Is Why There Are So Many Fakes!" (Marketplace Magazine Online, Winter 2010)
- Author, "The Perils of Cyber-Squatting, Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada" ((2008-09) 9 I.E.C.L.C., April 2009)
- Author, "Liability of officers and directors for corporate patent infringement: Mentmore revisited" (The Lawyers Weekly, December 17, 2004)
- Panelist, Federal Court Rules, (Canadian Bar Association / Federal Court of Canada, 1998)
- Lecturer, Trade Secrets, Copyright, Trademarks, and IP Litigation (University of Manitoba - Certificate in Intellectual Property and Technology Commercialization Management)
- Chair and Panelist, Intellectual Property (Law Society of Manitoba - Continuing Legal Education Program)
- Panelist, Federal Court Rules (Law Society of Manitoba - Continuing Legal Education Program, 1998)
- Presenter, Canadian Innovation Centre / Western Economic Diversification Western Canada
- Contributor, Law Society of Manitoba, Continuing Legal Education Program (Remedies for Infringement of Intellectual Property)
- Workshop for Inventors, Innovators, and Entrepreneurs on Protecting Intellectual Property