Pension & Benefits
Plan Governance & Administration / Surplus Utilization / Asset Transfers, Mergers & Wind-Ups / Insolvencies & Restructurings / Transactional Experience / Executive Compensation
The world of pension and benefits law can be dauntingly complex. Frequent amendments to pension and tax legislation and the need to keep up with the constant evolution of the Canadian workforce means it can be hard to stay abreast of all the changes. That’s why you need a strong legal team behind you.
With a comprehensive understanding of pension and benefits law, our experienced practitioners have advised employers and administrators in both the public and private sector on every aspect of plan administration and governance. We also have experience representing clients in dealings with provincial and federal pension regulators and in respect of The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
From multi-jurisdictional issues to governance audits to compliance reviews, we offer pragmatic, action-oriented solutions. Talk to us about a range of issues including:
- Plan funding and investments
- The use of surplus funds or assets
- Plan asset transfers and mergers
- Complex full and partial wind-ups
- Legal advice on pension and benefits matters relating to mergers, acquisitions and other corporate reorganizations, including in the context of insolvencies and restructuring transactions
- Legal advice on tax-effective compensation arrangements and contracts for executives
With more than 20 practice areas, we work closely with expert practitioners in tax, labour and employment and securities law to address any pension- or benefits-related matter you may face.