General Counsel to Municipalities / Insurance Claim Defense / Drafting By-Laws / Development Applications / Municipal Board Hearings
Fillmore Riley LLP’s Municipal Law team works with municipal authorities in a variety of capacities including all types of litigation, insurance law, Court orders, by-law enforcement, drafting of commercial agreements, negotiations, and real estate transactions. We act as general counsel for several municipalities. Our team strives to offer effective advice on all areas of municipal law.
Some of our specific services include:
- General Counsel to Municipalities - We act as counsel to municipalities, providing general advice in all areas of municipal legal issues.
- Insurance Claims - We have a wealth of experience in defending liability claims and other claims against municipalities.
- Drafting By-Laws - We have worked with the Association of Manitoba Municipalities and their liability insurers to prepare standardized by-laws and related forms for use and adoption by municipalities. We also draft by-laws for individual municipalities suited to their specific needs.
- Development Applications - We act on behalf of various firms and individuals in filing, processing, and advocating various forms of development-related applications, including licensing, zoning, subdivisions, permitting, and related matters.
- Hearings - We have appeared before the Municipal Board, the Assistant Deputy Minister of Labour with respect to Building Permit issues, and other municipal tribunals. We have also handled by-law prosecutions.
Our team is made up of lawyers from our Litigation, Administrative, Corporate and Commercial, Environmental and Insurance Law groups, ensuring we are able to offer our clients the expertise to address all areas of the law affecting municipalities.