Areas of Focus
Eleanor has retired from active practice effective June 30, 2016. She is available intermittently for the transition of files to other lawyers. Please refer to the Practice Group links to the right for a listing of lawyers who can assist with new matters, or contact Johanna Caithness at (204) 957 8310 or Shawn Armitage at (204) 956 2970 Ext 201 who will assist you.
- Sessional Lecturer, Wills & Succession, University of Manitoba - Faculty of Law (2009 to Present)
- Co-Chair, The Isaac Pitblado Lectures, 2012
- Appointed Q.C in 1998
- Co-Chair, Wills and Estates Group, Fillmore Riley LLP
- Earned TEP designation from Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
- Member, Manitoba Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Past Lecturer, Corporate, Commercial, and Wills Courses (Law Society of Manitoba: Bar Admission)
- Member, ISO Committee, Articling Supervisory Committee, Fillmore Riley LLP
- Secretary, STEP Winnipeg
- Member, Laura's Committee (a group committed to encouraging volunteerism and providing financial support to inner city children through the schools they attend) since 2005
- Advisor to Board of Directors of Legal Help Centre of Winnipeg Inc. (initiative to improve access to legal and social systems for people living in Winnipeg's inner city) since 2009
- Volunteer presenter to various community organizations on wills and estates topics
Publications / Presentations
- Presenter, Law Society of Manitoba, Continuing Professional Development, “Wills That Work: Practical and Proficient Drafting”, February 2015
- Presenter, Manitoba Bar Association Wills and Estates subsection, “QB Rule 74 dealing with Fees for Estates”, March 2014
- Presenter, Canadian Bar Association Professional Development Skilled Lawyers Series, "Risk Management for Business Lawyers", June 2013
- Presenter, Manitoba Bar Association Mid-Winter Conference, “Trustees’ Powers” January 2013
- Presenter, Law Society of Manitoba, Continuing Legal Education, "Considerations for Commercial Lawyers in Family Business" November 2011
- Volunteer Presenter, Canadian Bar Association International Development Program - Workshops: Lao PDR November 2007, May 2010; Cambodia January 2011
- Presenter, Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners: "A Potpourri of Legal Issues" March 2010
- Co-Author, "Corporate Trusteeship: Is this the Exclusive Domain of Trust Companies? The Manitoba Perspective" (2010) 29 E.T.P.J. 379.
- Author, "Personal Representatives and Trustees: Resignation, Removal and Replacement - The Manitoba Perspective" (2009) 28 E.T.P.J. 252.
- Co-Author, "Manitoba Multiple Wills and Probate Fees - A Perspective" (2007) 27 E.T.P.J. 62.